Zoning By-law Amendment

If someone wants to use or develop their property in a way that is not allowed by the zoning by-law, they can apply for a zoning change, also known as a zoning by-law amendment or a rezoning. You can usually appeal a decision to approve or deny a zoning by-law amendment.

Municipalities can also amend the zoning by-law, either to bring it into line with official plan policies, or because they have decided the change is in the best interests of their community.